Sunday, September 25, 2011

First Attempt


JOE: Here are the stages of my first attempt at a finished cover. My favorite stage is the third image, the pencil drawing that eventually becomes the finished ink drawing. I've shared this sentiment with many comic artist, we all agree that our pencils always look better that the finished inks. So frustrating.

STAN:  I'm not sure that I agree about sketches being better than the finished artwork.  They can be as good, but different.  In the same way that a black and white and a colour photograph of the same subject can be equally compelling.  I'm amused to see that I'm "Stan Nicholis" at this stage.  That's no criticism of Joe; for some reason my name often gets mangled, and you'd be amazed at some of the variations.  "Nicholas" is a common one.  Which is OK except for the way some people pronounce it - ie "Nickelarse".  But we all have our crosses to bear.





No comments:

Post a Comment