Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Headgear

JOE: Early on I was debating whether or not the Wolverines, the war band of orcs that Stan's series centers around would wear helmets. I did quite a few drawings of orcs with different types of protective headgear, but nothing really stood out for me, plus I wanted the reader to be able to tell one orc from another. So here are some orc helmet designs that were never used.

STAN: It’s strangely comforting to know that artists come up with concepts that ultimately don’t get used. Writers commonly do this as well. I’ve often cut sentences, paragraphs and chapters; even characters and whole sub-plots. Much as you might like an idea, or think you’ve produced a pretty decent piece of writing, if it doesn’t further the plot it has to go. Sometimes you just have to kill your darlings, as Stephen King memorably put it.




No comments:

Post a Comment